For a business owner, exiting right and retiring well takes smart planning. Exit planning, or succession planning as it is sometimes called, is about preparing well ahead of the exit of your company. It’s about controlling how and when you exit, while maximizing value, reducing risk and preserving wealth.
Exit Planning Benefits include:
- Identifies value and marketability gaps early on
- Clarifies your best exit option(s) and timing
- Increases owner’s value
- Positions the company to attract more and better buyers
- Ensures business continuity
- Makes ownership transfer more seamless
- Increases cash proceeds
- Minimizes financial risk
- Mitigates and minimizes taxes with creative planning
- Prevents mistakes that can’t be reversed
Whether you intend to transfer your company to family, management or a third party, planning produces a more successful exit. It focuses your attention and brings structure to the process. Those who plan and engage professionals, have successful closes with big rewards.
Few business owners have the experience and training to maximize the value of a sale of their business. Here’s the process:
First, we conduct an independent Assessment of your company’s value, marketability and readiness for a transition to new owners. This typically includes:
- Review of company operations, history, markets, customers, suppliers, competition, management, systems, documentation, tangible and intangible assets
- Grading the company on value drivers, determining the value proposition
- Financial analysis of your financial information
- Financial statement normalization and comparison to the industry
- Applying multiple business valuation methods. Sanity check on value range.
- Considering appropriate premiums and discounts and applying tests for reasonableness
- Identification of likely buyers, deal structures, financing terms
- Analysis of marketability and potential road blocks
- Insight into opportunities to enhance value and marketability
Second, knowing how your company will be viewed and valued by prospective buyers makes decisions about your capital spending, new employees, new markets, leases easier to make and provides guidance that will help you on exit.
This stage begins with identifying your best exit options – what type of sale and to whom. We identify gaps and areas needing improvement early on so you can make adjustments. When value, marketability or transfer-ability gaps exist, we work with you to formulate strategies to close the gaps within your time-frame. When your objective is a third party sale, the plan prepares you and the business for the sale process. We help you set clear objectives with specific action steps and measurable outcomes.
We have an eye towards tax-centric planning as we understand it’s the net, after tax, that matters. We work collaboratively with your other advisors to maximize the take home value and incorporate appropriate estate planning.
Third, we can coach you on plan implementation, review your progress and update your plan on regular basis. Think of us as a temporary member of your executive team. When appropriate, we can introduce you to specialists to work on specific plan initiatives. We can update the assessment annually or as business and market conditions change. If an opportunity comes earlier than planned, you’ll be ready. You choose the level of our involvement.
Good Return on Your Money
Our services, plans and ongoing coaching are appropriately priced. If you later engage us to assist in the sale of your business, we’ll even credit some or all of these fees against our standard M&A brokerage fee. This is an arrangement not often found. An investment in exit planning should be one of the easier decisions you’ll make. And the earlier we get involved, the greater the return on your investment.